For the past three nights I have experienced a series of contractions, usually between the hours of 9:00 and midnight. Thursday night I had a whopping TEN CONTRACTIONS in one hour, which one might go so far as to call, false-labor. Being that I'm completely paranoid to be an inconvenience to anyone, especially my doctor re: false alarms, I just sat on the couch, watching
my boyfriend Anderson Cooper 360 until the contractions passed, which they eventually did. Damnit.
I've never waited to go into labor naturally and frankly, it sucks. With Archer I had an induction date at 11pm on a Sunday, which man was that a long Sunday... but at least I had some idea when the birth would take place. It was a relatively mellow experience until the Pitocin set in and then fuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkk!!!!
Do I recommend an induction? Absolutely not. Do I recommend waiting to go into labor naturally? Again, absolutely not. (Apparently, when it comes to childbirth, there is no easy way.)
This time around there will be no Pitocin. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. I don't have Preeclampsia this time around. My blood pressure isn't a dangerously high 170/110, which it was this time last time. (Scary shit, right?)
I've been told that the second I feel like I'm going into labor I must rush to the hospital thanks to positive screenings for Group B Strep, which I also had when pregnant with Archer so I wasn't exactly surprised with the results. Group B Strep is a bacteria harmless to the mother but has the potential to do harm to a newborn as it passes through the birth canal, which is why antibiotics are to be administered four hours prior to birth to insure a healthy infant. You can read more about Group B here, here and here.
My doctor is afraid that because my last labor was so short (I was in active labor for less than three hours) and because this is a second baby (second labors go much faster) I'm going to give birth in the car on the way to the hospital if I don't act fast when the contractions start, which puts me in a bit of a predicament -- when do I know if the contractions are for real, yo? And how long can I wait to be sure? What if it's TOO LATE OMG!?
I'm so confused.
I wish it was like on television, where in the low-light of the bedroom I'd wake up like a shot, clutching my basketball-belly, brushing aside my perfect Betty Draper hair, turning to my sleeping husband, whispering, "honey, it's time." To which he would quite dramatically bolt out of bed in his striped flannel pajamas and escort me, in my monogrammed robe to the hospital.
Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.
In the meantime, because I have no choice, I'm waiting. Trying to do what I can to keep my mind off everything -- meeting friends for coffee, watching bad romcoms, which I hear are supposed to naturally induce labor by way of their mind-numbing stupidity, and praying for some kind of clue (water breaking would be nice) that all these contractions are not for naught... That sitting on my ass waiting for Godot will eventually end with something excruciating and/or embarrassing.
Water breaking in public? I'd absolutely take that. Gut-wrenching contractions? So long as they're not sporadic, I'll take them happily. Because labor, childbirth, sleepless nights with an infant? All of that's EASY PEASY compared to the great wait, which let's be clear, is most definitely without argument, the hardest part.